Fall is here and it’s that time of the year for pumpkins, costumes, and candy! To make sure you and your pet enjoy the holiday, here are some tips to keep your pet safe.
We don’t want you to worry about losing your pet! Make sure your animal is microchipped and has an ID tag on their collar, in case they escape while trick-or-treaters visit. If your pet is known for running through an open door, consider using a doggy gate to keep them in a separate room and away from an exit.
If your pet is celebrating the holiday with you in a stylish costume, remove any small accessories that can be swallowed and double-check that the costume is a relaxed fit around their body. Your pet should be able to comfortably move with the costume and there should be no constriction to their chest while breathing.
If your pet gets anxious when the doorbell rings, consider passing out candy on your front porch so that the doorbell does not need to be pressed.
Keep your candy stored in a place that is out of reach. Two common ingredients that are toxic to your pets are chocolate and xylitol. Chocolate consumption can cause problems with the heart and nervous system. Your pet may exhibit signs like vomiting, tremors, abdominal discomfort, and abnormal heart beat patterns. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in sugar-free products. Consumption of this can cause a severe drop in blood sugar. Signs that can be seen are weakness, vomiting, lethargy, and seizures.
Ingesting these toxins can be life threatening to pets. If you suspect your pet has consumed something that may be toxic, take them to a veterinary hospital as soon as possible to get the appropriate treatment.
We hope you have a spooktacular holiday!