UGI Utilities, Inc., will recognize the commitment of its employees and participate in a number of community service activities during National Volunteer Week, which runs April 15 through April 21, 2018. The theme of UGI’s celebration is “Making a Difference in Our Communities.”
Over the past year, 709 UGI employees, nearly half of the company’s total employees, devoted more than 60,000 hours of volunteer service. Organizations receiving assistance included Reading Is Fundamental, the United Way, the American Red Cross, the S.P.A.R.K.S. Foundation, Community Bike Works, the Salvation Army, Head Start, and multiple local food banks, fire companies and many other local and regional organizations. UGI will conduct a special company-wide community support initiative during National Volunteer Week.
UGI employees will collect and donate personal care items, clothing (including new underwear, socks and t-shirts), non-perishable food items (such as bottled water, juice boxes, granola bars, fruit snacks and crackers), and VISA and grocery gift cards to a number of organizations across UGI’s 45-county service territory serving military veterans. Recipient organizations include the Paul R. Gordon Veterans Social Center at the Hope Rescue Mission in Reading, Victory House of the Lehigh Valley, Veterans’ Victory House at TLC Lancaster, Clearfield VFW, VA Medical Center in Lebanon, VA Outpatient Clinic in Mapleton, Wilkes-Barre VA Medical Center, and the Williamsport Vet Center.
“UGI and its employees have a long history of engagement in the communities where we live and work,” Keith Dorman, Vice President of Communications and Community Relations, said. “From supporting early childhood literacy and STEM education programs to social and emergency services, we are committed to enhancing the quality of life for every resident across our service territory.”
In addition to the community support initiative, UGI will post information and highlights about Company National Volunteer Week efforts on Facebook
Specific volunteer activities in which UGI employees will participate during National Volunteer Week include:
• On April 16, UGI employees will host a Bingo night at the Highlands at Wyomissing, a Berks County senior living community.
• From April 16 through April 20, UGI employees will participate in the United Way of Wyoming Valley guest reading event during the Week of the Young Child in child care centers and pre-K classrooms throughout the region.
• UGI employees will take part in a UGI-Reading Is Fundamental book distribution at the Hazle Township Learning Center, Hazleton, at 12 p.m. on Tuesday, April 17.
• UGI will host a tour by students from West Side Vocational-Technical School on April 17 at its Wilkes-Barre training center. UGI employees will provide live demonstrations on various field tasks.
• UGI will be one of the sponsors of the United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley’s Celebration of Caring event to be held at DeSales University, Center Valley, on Wednesday, April 18.
• UGI will be represented at the American Red Cross Press Conference at the Main Rotunda, State Capitol on Wednesday, April 18 at 9:15 a.m.
• From April 18-20, UGI employees from the Bloomsburg office will assist in preparing Camp Victory, Millville, a camp for children with special needs, for the upcoming camping season. The efforts will include cleaning and completing general maintenance.
• On April 19, UGI employees will prepare and serve lunch to the clients of the Opportunity House shelter in Reading.
• UGI employees will take part in a UGI-Reading Is Fundamental book distribution at Port Allegany Elementary School, Port Allegany, at 8 a.m. on Thursday, April 19.
• UGI employees will take part in a UGI-Reading Is Fundamental book distribution at Wyomissing Hills Elementary, Wyomissing, at 9 a.m. on Friday, April 20. This book distribution will feature a visit by UGI employee, Debra Wertz, and her Caring Hearts Pet Therapy team.
• UGI employees will take part in a UGI-Reading Is Fundamental book distribution at Arthur St. Elementary, Hazleton, at 10 a.m. on Friday, April 20.
• UGI will be one of the sponsors of the Youth Volunteer Corps of Reading Canstructure Contest to be held at Albright College, Reading, on Saturday, April 21.
• On April 22, UGI employees and families will participate in the 2018 Global Youth Service Day hosted by Youth Volunteer Corps of Reading by performing general maintenance and gardening in the Memorial Area of City Park in Reading.
• As a continuation of UGI’s focus on aiding veterans as part of its National Volunteer Week celebration, UGI will perform outdoor maintenance, assemble outdoor furniture, and prepare and serve lunch at the Paul R. Gordon Veterans Social Center on April 27.
UGI serves approximately 700,000 natural gas and electric customers in 45 counties in Pennsylvania and one county in Maryland.