Mechanicsburg, Pa. – As the weather gets warmer, individuals will begin to head outside to enjoy the sunshine.
However, according to the National Safety Council (NSC) 488,123 people were treated in emergency departments after being injured riding a bike, and about 1,100 deaths resulted from cyclists colliding with motor vehicles in 2015.
National Bike Month is observed each May, to showcase the many benefits, including staying in shape, saving gas money, and reducing pollution, of bicycling while encouraging more individuals to participate.
The American Trauma Society, Pennsylvania Division (ATSPA) provides the following tips to ensure you’re safe on your bicycle:
• Always wear a properly fitted bike helmet.
• Wear brightly colored clothing.
• Choose a bicycle that fits you now. Do not buy a bigger bike and wait to grow into it.
• Drive your bicycle on the right side of the road, with traffic, and obey all traffic signs and signals.
• Be aware of your surroundings and roadway hazards.
• Make sure your bicycle is in good condition and properly maintained for as long as you own it.
The ATSPA office located in Mechanicsburg sells bicycle helmets in a variety of sizes from toddler to adult. Call the office today at 717-766-1616 to schedule your helmet fitting.
The American Trauma Society, PA Division (ATSPA) is a non-profit trauma prevention education organization dedicated to reducing suffering, disability and death due to trauma. The ATSPA strives to help all Pennsylvanians survive and lead healthier lives through its trauma prevention education programs. For information, call 717-766-1616 and visit www.atspa.org.