Skip to Content
Watch BCTV Now
/ Articles / Health & Wellness /

UGI Encourages Residents to Follow Safe Energy Practices during Holidays

from UGI Utilities, Inc.

Nov 29, 2018

As residents begin to hold gatherings and decorate their homes and businesses for the
holiday season, UGI encourages all members of the community to remember the
following energy-related safety tips:

• Protect your family and co-workers from carbon monoxide (CO). CO is a
colorless and odorless gas that can build up inside a home due to malfunctioning
heating units or other fuel-burning appliances, as well as by blocked chimneys
and exhaust vents. While CO is odorless, a smoky or sooty smell is often
generated by the malfunctioning appliance or blocked chimney. Signs that an
appliance may be producing CO include condensation on walls and windows,
house pets becoming sluggish, and residents in the home suffering flu-like
symptoms or feeling unusually tired. Individuals who believe they may be
experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning should immediately seek fresh air and
prompt medical attention. UGI recommends that all homes have working CO
detectors on every floor, especially near heating equipment and bedrooms.
• Call UGI if you detect the odor of gas. An odorant that smells like rotten eggs is
added to natural gas to assist in detecting a gas leak. If you smell the odor of
natural gas, leave the building immediately, taking everyone with you and leaving
the door open. Do not use the phone, light a match, or switch anything on or off.
Once in a location where the odor of gas is no longer present, call 911 or UGI
from your cell phone or neighbor’s home. UGI’s emergency response number is
1-800-276-2722. UGI will send a service technician to investigate the odor
immediately. Emergency response is available 24-hours a day, every day. There
is no cost to investigate a report of a gas leak.

  • Properly use electric extension cords. If using outdoor lights around your home,
    make sure you use outdoor-rated extension cords and timers. Follow the
    directions on cord labels regarding connecting light strings and extension cords to
    avoid overloading electrical circuits. If a cord feels hot to the touch, it is
    overloaded and may cause an electrical fire. To help avoid overheating indoor
    extension cords, do not run them under furniture or carpeting, behind baseboards
    or over walkways. Do not string a series of extension cords together.
  • Remove flammable items from ignition sources. Make sure Christmas trees,
    gifts, decorations and discarded bags, boxes and wrapping paper are kept away
    from fireplaces, radiators and other heating sources. Turn off tree lights and lit
    decorations when you go to bed or leave the house. Unplug extension cords when
    not in use.
  • Practice good safety habits when using a natural gas oven and stove. If you use
    natural gas for cooking, be sure to keep loose clothing, dish towels and other
    flammable items away from the burners and hot stove surfaces. In addition, to
    allow for proper air flow and avoid accidental fires, keep your stove and the area
    around it clean and free from bags, wrappers, product caps, lids and boxes, etc.
    Finally, always keep a fire extinguisher on hand in or near your kitchen.
  • Use extra caution when using space heaters. Always place a space heater on a
    level, hard surface and keep anything flammable (such as paper, clothing, bedding
    curtains, or upholstered furniture) at least three feet away from the unit. Turn off
    space heaters before leaving the room.

Additional safety tips are available on UGI’s website at www.ugi.com/safety.
UGI Utilities is a natural gas and electric utility with headquarters in Reading,
Pennsylvania. UGI serves more than 700,000 customers in 45 Pennsylvania counties and
one county in Maryland. Customers and community members are invited to visit the
UGI website at www.ugi.com; our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ugiutilities; or
follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ugi_utilities.

We need your support!

Your contribution makes community media possible.

A donation of any size to your nonprofit media organization supports the future of media access in our community - the things you love, and the places you know, by the people you care about.

Watch BCTV Live