Reading, PA- Alpha Sigma Rho, Reading Area Community College’s Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Chapter, attended the PTK Middle States Regional Convention in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania March 15-17. The Hallmark Awards, one of the major programs of PTK International, engages members to participate in activities which support the Society’s Hallmarks of Scholarship, Leadership, Service and Fellowship. Chapters submit reports on their work in several areas. These submissions are judged competitively and individuals, chapters and regions are recognized for their excellence in support of these hallmarks. Awards are given on both a regional and international level. The Middle States Region includes eighty chapters from Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and D.C.
During the annual PTK Middle States Regional Convention, the chapter received several significant awards:
- College Project-among the top 10 in the Middle States Region for work planning and implementing a college-wide Volunteer Fair
- Honors in Action-among the top 10 in the Middle States Region for their academic exploration of how people communicate in today’s society. The aim was to foster connections through various types of communication as a response to the prevailing divisive communication evident in many aspects of our digital society.
- Honors in Action-the chapter was awarded the best in the region for alignment with Theme 7 (Powers of Connection) of the honors study topic
- Among the top 15 Most Distinguished Chapters in the Middle States Region-this is awarded to chapters based on cumulative scores in the Hallmark activities (out of 80 chapters in the region)
- REACH Award for high membership acceptance rates-RACC’s rate this past year was 19.3% as compared to 18.6% regional average and 14.4% international average
- Five Star Chapter Award and Gold Star Chapter for achieving the Five Star designation as part of PTK’s chapter development program
- Best Pennsylvania Commit to Complete single day event for work with the college on degree completion
In addition to these chapter-based awards, the following individuals received awards:
- Danelle Bower-Horizon Outstanding Advisor Award and Five-Star Chapter Advisor Award for completing the online advisor development program
- Judith Croteau (Chapter President)-Chapter President Award; Chapter Officer Hall of Honor Roll award and Five-Star member award for completing the competitive edge soft skills development program
- Valerie Mackey (Chapter Vice President)-Chapter Officer Honor Roll award and Five-Star member award for completing the competitive edge soft skills development program
- Donna Singleton-Five-Star Chapter Advisor Award for completing the online advisor development program
- Kristy Whitekettle (RACC alumna)-inducted into the Middle States Region Alumni Association
- Leann Wolf-Distinguished Chapter Member Award for her significant work supporting chapter activities