Online Votes Tally 142,086 and over 1,200 People Attended the Event in Reading
READING, Pa. –Manufacturers Resource Center (MRC) is proud to announce the award recipients for the “What’s So Cool About Manufacturing?” (WSCM) Berks Schuylkill student video contest awards. Over 1,200 people attended the event, held Tuesday March 3, 2020, in downtown Reading at the DoubleTree by Hilton. The WSCM Berks Schuylkill contest received 142,086 votes over a three-day voting period.
The video with the most votes received the “Viewers Choice Award.” The videos were also reviewed by a panel of judges for awards in ten other categories, including Outstanding Career Pathway and Outstanding Creativity.
Preceding the main program, culinary arts programs from Berks Career and Technology Center, Reading Muhlenberg Career and Technology Center and Schuylkill Technology Center provided a dessert reception. Candy and treats were provided by R.M. Palmer Company and Sweet Street. Students from the Air Force Junior ROTC program at Muhlenberg High School opened the program with a color guard presenting the colors and three members singing the national anthem.
The WSCM contest, presented by MRC, partners students from all 36 middle schools in Berks and Schuylkill Counties with 36 local manufacturers. Each student team will script, shoot, edit and promote a short video that documents their experience, highlighting what is “cool” about manufacturing. Winning videos will be considered to represent the Berks Schuylkill region at the third-annual statewide competition in April.
“We’re really excited to showcase all the hard work the students, teachers and manufacturers put into this program,” said Terri Lampe Melcher, Business Development Manager Berks County at MRC. “The continued support the contest has received in Berks and Schuylkill counties from our partners, like Berks Business-Education Coalition, Berks County Workforce Development Board, Berks County Intermediate Unit and Schuylkill County Intermediate Unit, among others, has enabled the program to raise awareness about manufacturing career opportunities.”
This year’s awards are as followed:
- Outstanding Overall Program: Reading Southern Middle School – Novipax LLC
- Outstanding Editing: Reading Northeast Middle School – L&H Signs, Inc.
- Outstanding Creativity: Tri-Valley Jr./Sr. High School – Ashland Technologies, Inc.
- Outstanding Cool: Conrad Weiser Middle School – East Penn Manufacturing Company
- Outstanding Team Spirit: Oley Valley Middle School – DeLux Dental Laboratory
- Outstanding Educational Value: Wilson Southern Middle School – WORLD electronics
- Outstanding Videography: Saint Clair Middle School – Hydro
- Outstanding Brand Placement: Hamburg Area Middle School – RADUIS Corporation
- Viewers Choice: Mahanoy Area Jr./Sr. High School – Mrs. T’s Pierogies
- Outstanding Outreach Plan: Mahanoy Area Jr./Sr. High School – Mrs. T’s Pierogies
- TIE: Outstanding Career Pathway: D.H.H. Lengel Middle School – Cardinal Systems, Inc.
- TIE: Outstanding Career Pathway: Brandywine Heights Middle School – Electro-Space Fabricators, Inc.