Skip to the content

Returning an Economic Impact Payment

By Internal Revenue Service

Returning an Economic Impact Payment

Millions of eligible individuals have already received their Economic Impact Payments. Some people, including those who received a payment for a deceased individual, may be unsure whether they should return a payment.

Here is additional information about returning an Economic Impact Payment.

How should an individual return an Economic Impact Payment?

Mail the payment to the IRS address – based on the state the person lives in – as indicated in the FAQs about repayments.

When returning a paper check that was not cashed or deposited taxpayers should:

When returning a direct deposit or a paper check that was cashed or deposited taxpayers should:

Taxpayers should visit Economic Impact Payment Information Center on for information on how to return or request a replacement EIP debt card. 

When returning a payment for someone who has died:

A payment made to someone who died before they received the payment should be returned to the IRS. Return the entire payment unless it was made to joint filers and one spouse is still living. In that case, return half the payment, but not more than $1,200. 

If someone can’t deposit a check because it was issued to both spouses and one spouse has died, the individual should return the check. Once the IRS receives and processes the returned payment, an Economic Impact Payment will be reissued to the surviving spouse.

The IRS encourages people to share this information with family and friends.