Skip to the content

How taxpayers can troubleshoot common after-tax-day issues

By Internal Revenue Service

How taxpayers can troubleshoot common after-tax-day issues

While the deadline to file and pay federal income taxes has passed for most people, there are some taxpayers still facing tax-related issues.

Here are some tips for taxpayers handling some of the most common after-tax-day issues.

Check the status of a refund

Taxpayers can check on their refund using the Where’s My Refund? tool. It is available on and the IRS2Go app. Taxpayers without access to a computer can call 800-829-1954. To use this tool, taxpayers need the first Social Security number on the tax return, the filing status and the expected refund amount. The tool updates once daily, so there’s no need to check more often.

Do a Paycheck Checkup

All taxpayers are encouraged to do a Paycheck Checkup by using the Tax Withholding Estimator on This will help them make sure their employers are withholding the right amount of tax from their paychecks. Doing this now will help avoid an unexpected year-end tax bill and possibly a penalty.

Taxpayers can use the results from the Estimator to help them fill out the Form W-4 and adjust their income tax withholding with their employer. Taxpayers who receive pension income can use the results to complete a Form W-4P and give it to their payer.

Review payment options

Taxpayers who owe taxes can review their options online. They can:

New users will need to authenticate their identity through the Secure Access process. Taxpayers should go to to view their federal tax information.

Find out if they need to amend a tax return

After filing their return, taxpayers may find they made an error or forgot to enter something on it. Taxpayers can use the Interactive Tax Assistant, Should I File an Amended Return? to help determine if they should correct an error or make other changes to the tax return they already filed.

Common errors taxpayers should fix are those made about filing status, income, deductions and credits. Taxpayers usually do not need to file an amended return to fix a math error or if they forgot to attach a form or schedule. Normally, the agency will correct the math error and notify the taxpayer by mail. Similarly, the agency will send a letter requesting any missing forms or schedules.

Currently, taxpayers must file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return on paper. Those expecting a refund from their original return, should not file an amended return before the original return has been processed.