Clear the Shelters Event at The Animal Rescue League of Berks County
On Saturday, August 29, 2020 from 11AM to 6PM, the Animal Rescue League of Berks County will participate in Clear the Shelters, a national adoption event that has found more than 400,000 homes for shelter pets throughout the nation since its inception in 2015. All animals at the ARL will have free adoption fees this day. For a smooth visit and adoption process, the ARL is offering these tips for all visitors:
- The ARL is following all PA health and safety mandates, and requires all guests to wear masks and practice social distancing, even while outdoors. The ARL has implemented a new waitlist at www.berksarl.org/hello to allow you to check in and join a virtual “line” from the safety and comfort of your car until it’s your turn to be assisted. You will be able to view your estimated wait time and communicate with the staff via text anytime during your wait.
- Please plan to arrive early as adoption wait times are expected. All available adoptable animals will be listed on the ARL’s website at www.berksarl.org. The site is updated every 12 minutes to reﬂect the most up-to-date selection of who’s available to adopt. The ARL suggests browsing it ahead of your visit and selecting a few animals you may want to meet.
- When you arrive to the ARL, please check in online at www.berksarl.org/hello and then proceed to the tent to receive an adoption application to complete. All adoptions will be by application and with the guidance of an adoption counselor to help ensure you and your family ﬁnd the perfect pet.
- Because your adoption counselor will be assisting you primarily outside, please dress appropriately. All dog meet and greets will be conducted outdoors. Cat meet and greets will be conducted outdoors through outside catios, or one family at a time may enter the shelter’s cat lobby for a limited time to interact with cats prior to their adoption counseling session.
- If you plan to adopt a dog and currently have other dogs at home, the ARL encourages meet and greets to ensure your dogs will get along well. If your dog is not comfortable around a lot of people or lots of other dogs, please try to keep your dog away from the crowds by staying with him/her in your cooled car or by walking around the perimeter of our property until it’s your turn to adopt. Please make sure you check in at the tent ﬁrst to receive your adoption application.
- Please bring a photo ID, and a cat carrier or leash and collar. If you don’t have one, you may purchase those items from the shelter.
- You must be at least 18 years old to adopt.
- Under PA law, a $7 dog license fee applies at the time of adoption. This fee is not covered in your sponsored adoption. The ARL charges an additional $2 processing fee for all credit card transactions for dog licenses; if you’d prefer to avoid this fee, please bring cash or a check.
- For guests needing assistance, the ARL will provide parking attendants for additional help.
For any questions regarding Clear the Shelters, please contact the shelter at 610-373-8830.
The Animal Rescue League of Berks County serves nearly 5,000 animals per year and is the county’s only provider of animal cruelty and humane investigation. The organization’s full-service adoption center works to ﬁnd responsible and loving homes for thousands of kittens, puppies, cats and dogs, as well as working/barn cats and other farm animals each year.
Clear the Shelters Event at Humane Pennsylvania
While this year has felt like a whirlwind, we’re thrilled to still be able to participate in this year’s Clear the Shelters fee free adoption event. Owen (pictured above) is one of many animals available for adoption during the Clear the Shelters fee free adoption event held from Friday August 28th – Sunday August 30th thanks to our generous sponsor, the Cooke Family. This donation was made in honor of their Humane League dog, Barlie.
With the safety our staff, volunteers, and clients in mind – this adoption event will be a little different than in years past as we are operating by appointment only. Appointments are limited and will follow the same counseling and vetting process, as always, to ensure we are making the very best matches for everyone.
Interested in taking advantage of this fee free adoption weekend? Click here to view all of our adoptable animals and to complete an adoption interest form.