Reading, PA — The Berks County Commissioners will host their Weekly Media and Public Update on Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 3:30PM on Microsoft Teams Live Event. Click here to find the link to this meeting. This week’s update will help launch the county’s newest COVID-19 funding program – the Berks County CARES Grant program.
The new program will award up to $19 million in grants to four specific sectors: Public Health Services, Municipalities and Authorities, Nonprofits and Educational Institutions and Services. The grant program is funded through the $38 million CARES Act allocation the County received under the COVID-19 County Relief Block Grant through the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development. Applications will be accepted from Wednesday, September 30, 2020 until October 16, 2020 at 5 p.m. More information about the program, the four categories and the applications will be available at www.countyofberks.com/CARES.
The weekly update will give the background of the program, explain how it will work and provide instructions for applicants. The Commissioners and County of Berks staff will be available to answer questions about the grant program and application process. This Press Event will also be streamed Live to the Berks County Facebook and YouTube pages and air live on BCTV.
Welcome – Commissioner Christian Leinbach
Comments – Commissioner Michael Rivera
Comments – Commissioner Kevin Barnhardt
Introductions of the Panel – Commissioner Barnhardt
• Pamela Shupp Menet – Deputy Chief Administrative Officer and Economic Development Director, County of Berks
• Justin Loose – Chief Information Officer, County of Berks Information Systems Department
• Jessica Blauser – Executive Assistant for Commissioner Kevin Barnhardt
The Panel will address the following questions and topics:
1) Overview of the Berks County CARES Grant program – Why did the County create this grant program and how is it being funded?
2) Who is eligible for this grant program?
3) Why is the program divided into four categories? How do applicants know which category to apply under?
4) What documents and information do applicants need to complete the application? What types of need/expenses are considered eligible for reimbursement through this program?
5) What do potential applicants need to do to prepare to fill out the application? Any specific instructions or tips for the application process?
6) Who should applicants contact with questions about the application? Is this available in Spanish?
7) How will recipients be selected? When will funds be distributed
8) Question and Answers – Facilitated by Commissioner Barnhardt