The Reading Science Center Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the recruitment, training, oversight and recognition of organization volunteers and interns for the Girls in STEM Opportunities Program (G-SOP). The Volunteer Coordinator will also assist with Reading Science Center events with volunteers, guest speakers, STEM role models, and interns (college and high school). This is a part time position with an average of 20 hours per week reporting to the Executive Director and working directly with the G-SOP Program Manager.
The Girls in STEM Opportunities Program provides high-quality educational programming to middle school age females in Berks County to promote positive development in several critical areas: academic success, character and leadership, STEM knowledge and skills, STEM career exploration and more.
Job Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Coordinate day-to-day G-SOP volunteer and intern operations. Recruit and schedule, train, credential, coordinate and communicate logistics and other requirements related to G-SOP operations as well as special events and programs.
- Serve as main point of contact regarding collection, maintenance and organization of volunteer and intern service records, including contact information, hours worked and formal/informal volunteer recognition. Provide training and guidance to volunteers, peers and management related to volunteer management system capabilities and their proper use.
- Assist with G-SOP programming and operations communications and awareness. Assist with writing and preparing announcements and program descriptions, including but not limited to flyers, brochures, posters, and presentations for publication and distribution across multiple internal and external communication channels.
- Compile stories and photos during and after G-SOP programs, events and activities for inclusion on social media sites and use by the RSC Communications team.
- Serve as a knowledgeable resource related to G-SOP programs, events, activities, and services offered at RSC. ensuring that these programs, events, and activities are scheduled and executed within established budget constraints.
- In coordination with Reading Science Center leadership and key external agencies, develop, plan, and execute outreach programs and events. Solicit and develop a network of resources capable of and willing to support and/or sponsor G-SOP events and activities. Acquire and/or purchase program and event supplies.
- Perform clerical/administrative duties as needed and other duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college.
- Ability to successfully pass PA State Police, FBI Fingerprint, and Childline Child Abuse background checks is required.
- Language: English. Dual proficiency in Spanish preferred.
- 2 years work experience in a volunteer management/coordinator and/or administrative and/or event management and/or marketing support role. Relevant experience in a not-for-profit, multicultural organization preferred.
- General knowledge of training practices.
- Experienced in marketing design, layout and printing of promotional materials (i.e. brochures, flyers, posters, etc.). Working knowledge of print/production process preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to interact with RSC Leadership, the public and community audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. General knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Social Media Platforms, and Desktop Publishing. Familiarity with Donorsnap a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Must be punctual, organized, and self-motivated, with the ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
Interested candidates should submit resume and salary requirements via email to [email protected] by November 30, 2020.
Reading Science Center is an EOE. www.readingsciencecenter.org