Berks Community Health Center to host discussion and walk-up vaccine clinic
On Tuesday, June 29, during a visit to the Berks Community Health Center in Reading, Pa., federal officials from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) will discuss a joint agency effort in the mid-Atlantic region to increase access to COVID-19 prevention and treatment services among underserved communities, including among HUD-assisted households and people experiencing homelessness. Reading Mayor Eddie Morán and leaders from the Berks Community Health Center and Reading Housing Authority will join the discussion.|
Officials will highlight the availability of COVID-19 vaccines at Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) like the Berks Community Health Center and how residents can access them. FQHCs are community-based health care providers that receive funds from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Health Center Program to provide primary care services in underserved areas, including those communities where families and individuals are living in HUD-assisted housing.
HUD Secretary Marcia L. Fudge and HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra announced their partnership last month in Washington, D.C.
NOTE: Following the program, officials will tour the center and hold a walk-up vaccine clinic for area residents. A mask is required during the indoor tour.
Tuesday, June 29
EVENT: Federal officials to discuss joint agency effort to increase access to COVID-19 vaccinations in underserved and vulnerable communities
WHERE: Berks Community Health Center, 1040 Liggett Avenue, Reading, PA 19611
- Jane Miller, Deputy Regional Administrator, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Region III
- Dalton Paxman, Acting Regional Director, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Region III
- Leah Suter, Acting Regional Administrator, Health Resources and Services Administration, Region III
- Mayor Eddie Morán, City of Reading
- Mary Kargbo, CEO, Berks Community Health Center
- Stacey Keppen, Executive Director, Reading Housing Authority
WHEN: Tuesday, June 29, 1:00 p.m.