Reading Housing Authority is now accepting applications to fill several full-time housing maintenance mechanic positions.
We are looking for individuals who are dedicated to making a positive difference, while providing valuable services to the residents of our many local housing communities.
Description: Non-Supervisory staff position within the agency’s Facilities Department. Performs detailed repairs and maintenance work necessary for the upkeep of the buildings and structures. Safely operates equipment, practices safe work habits, processes and contributes to the creation and maintenance of a safe working environment for self and others. Works independently at the discretion of the Foreman.
Hourly Rate: $23.70
Working hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.(routine), with flexibility in scheduling at Authority’s discretion between 6:00 a.m. and 6 p.m. in accordance with the Union Agreement.
- Performs a variety of detailed tasks involving HVAC, carpentry, plumbing, plastering, electrical, painting, glazing or mechanical work necessary for repairs and maintenance.
- Replaces wooden or tiled floors, hangs doors, replaces screens, repairs window frames, repairs masonry walls, makes plaster repairs, makes roofing and flashing repairs, cuts and threads pipes, paints interior and exterior of all structures, removes and glazes windows.
- Replaces fuses, tests circuits, repairs stoves and refrigerators.
- Inspects a variety of large mechanical equipment, disassembles, and makes repairs to such equipment, operates power or maintenance equipment when required by work assignment, makes minor repairs to boilers, installs toilet, lavatory, and kitchen fixtures, corrects underground leaks, operates power rooter, replaces broken or damaged firefighting equipment, replaces piping, replaces fans and is capable of maintaining heating convectors.
- Capable of maintaining a professional and supportive atmosphere for residents and staff and able to follow the policies and procedures of the organization.
- A minimum of 2 years in the building maintenance trades. Proficiency in one or more of these trades, as evidenced by certification, training or significant and verifiable experience is desirable but not required.
- Minimum of 1-year prior experience operating small gas-powered lawn, garden, and snow removal equipment.
- Basic knowledge of Elevator Controls, Fire Panels and Security System required.
- Competency in computer programs, including Microsoft Office programs. Competency/ability to develop competency in agency operating software.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders to inspect building conditions, inspect meter pits, boiler rooms, roofs.
- Ability to tolerate weather conditions, including extended periods outdoors under emergency conditions.
- Ability to walk large campuses.
- Ability to exert physical effort, such as walking, standing, and lifting, dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs, and body in the operation of equipment.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing; ability to give oral and written instructions in a concise, understandable manner, as well as the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform work independently; ability to adjust quickly to changing priorities in a sometimes-stressful environment.
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend English.
- Ability to enter data into a computer and/or tablet.
- Ability to perform physical job requirements, bending, twisting, reaching, and lifting/moving up to 50 lbs.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Self-starter and team player.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and supervisors.
- Requires PA Driver’s License.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER.