The best way to learn is by doing! Join us for a combined workshop and hands-on opportunity to plant live stakes in a stream at Live Staking for Streambank Repair.
When: Sat., Apr. 2, 2022 (10:00 AM – 12:00 PM ET)
Where: Schuylkill Haven Island Park
1 Broadway St.
Schuylkill Haven, PA 17972
Who is this for?
- Homeowners and other property owners with eroding, small streams
- Conservation professionals and organizations working with similar streams or property owners
- Home owners associations
- Educators or community groups interested in organizing watershed improvement projects
- Anyone interested in conservation and water quality
What will you learn?
- Recognizing the impacts of streambank erosion
- Identifying where live staking is appropriate
- Harvesting your own stakes
- Properly planting live stakes
Do you know of a small stream on your property or in your community that is slowly (or maybe quickly) getting deeper? Are you experiencing or witnessing property loss as the streambank caves in or slumps off into the water during heavy rain events? In some cases you need a professionally-designed stream restoration plan to fix these issues, but you may also be able to repair minor streambank erosion problems at home with a simple and affordable technique known as live staking.
We will teach about the process of cutting and planting live stakes–branch segments of trees and shrubs that are planted during their winter dormancy. We will discuss how the process works, and then practice the techniques directly in a stream at the workshop site. Participants will gain the skills needed to repeat this experience at their own stream, while also helping to repair a stream in need (Pennsylvania has over 18,000 miles of impaired streams throughout the state).
What to Wear and Bring
- Knee boots, rain boots, waders, or other footwear that can get wet
- Work gloves
- Refillable water bottle
Live staking must take place while the trees are still dormant, but also when the soil is workable. In order to plant live stakes into streambanks, entering the stream is necessary. Climbing in and out of the stream may require a little agility. Some work can be done from outside the stream if you would still like to attend and observe. Participants without proper footwear can contribute in other ways. The workshop will take place outdoors, please dress appropriately for the weather.
This event is being offered at no charge to participants. Preregistration is required!
Register By: March 28, 2022 11:59 PMET