Author Joseph J. Swope has published Dark Age Monarch: The Reign of King Arthur, a historical novel that offers an inventive take on the Arthurian legends. The book is scheduled to be released June 23, 2022 by Black Rose Writing. This is Swope’s fifth book.
Arthurian tradition has followed two distinct paths. Medieval Romance depicts the spectacular capital of Camelot and a land of armored knights, jousts, and fantastical adventures. More recent researchers have focused on identifying the real King Arthur, if such a person existed, in the early days of the so-called Dark Ages.
Dark Age Monarch: The Reign of King Arthur blends the two strands together in an imaginative re-telling that maintains elements of the traditional tale but is set in a historical perspective – with a bit of magic thrown into the mix. Following the Roman exodus in the early 5th Century, Britain was fractured into petty fiefdoms that left the island vulnerable to foreign invaders. At a point where it appeared the Angles and Saxons would erase the British heritage, Arthur emerged as both a King and the Leader of Battles. His reign unified the land and preserved the Britons’ way of life long enough to be remembered throughout history.
“I have studied the Arthurian tradition for many years,” Swope explained. “Dark Age Monarch represents my take on a tale that has proven over the years to have many sides and many points of view.”
Swope taught a course in Arthurian Legends at a local university a number of years ago.
Prior to the official June 23 publication date, Dark Age Monarch: The Reign of King Arthur is available online at Black Rose Writing for preorder at https://www.blackrosewriting.com/fantasy-paranormal/darkagemonarch. If readers purchase the book prior to the publication date of June 23, 2022, they may use the promo code: PREORDER2022 to receive a 15% discount.
In addition, the novel is available at major online booksellers, including:
- On Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Age-Monarch-Reign-Arthur/dp/1684339693/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1655591333&sr=8-1
- On Barnes and Noble at https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dark-age-monarch-joseph-j-swope/1140954821?ean=9781684339693
Dark Age Monarch: The Reign of King Arthur is available in hardcover, paperback or Kindle.
Black Rose Writing is an independent book publisher based in Texas. Black Rose Writing was established in 2006 and publishes books from an array of fiction, non-fiction, and children’s book genres.
Earlier works by Joseph J. Swope include:
- Pleasant Valley Lost, which documents the loss of a family dairy farm to the Blue March Dam project told through the author’s childhood eyes.
- The Gift, an illustrated children’s book focused on diabetes awareness. The book was illustrated by Swope’s daughter, Chandra.
- Disturbed, a ghost story set in the haunted Coal Region of Northeast Pennsylvania.
- Where Magic and Science Collide, a novel that fuses elements of both fantasy and science fiction.
Swope has served in the communications department of UGI Utilities, Inc., a natural gas and electric utility based in Pennsylvania, for more than 28 years. He is currently the manager of media relations and special projects. He has also served as an adjunct faculty member in the Communications department at Alvernia University.