Berks Community Health Center will recognize the County of Berks and the City of Reading who each provided ARP funding totaling $900,000 to help the organization purchase their Oakbrook facility from the Reading Housing Authority. The recognition will take place on Wednesday, August 9th at 5pm at BCHC at Oakbrook, 1040 Liggett Avenue, as the organization conducts one of their annual Community Days events in celebration of National Health Center Week.
“We are so very grateful for the funding from the County of Berks and City of Reading that enabled us to purchase our facility. This funding will have a multi-layer effect on Berks County. The savings in rent will be redirected to further our efforts in responding to the health needs of our community. The sale also provided Reading Housing Authority funding which they are utilizing in the construction of their community center in the Oakbrook development. “says Mary Kargbo, President and CEO of Berks Community Health Center.
Planned attendees for the recognition include Pam Shupp, Director of Economic Development for the County of Berks; Reading City Councilor Chris Daubert; Representative Johanny Cepeda-Freytiz and representatives from Senator Schwank and Representative Dan Meuser’s offices.
The free community event, open to the public, is one of two events that marks National Health Center Week, August 6 – 12, 2023. The other event will be held at the organization’s Penn Street location on Saturday, August 12th.
Both events will offer a variety of children’s activities, including a moon bounce as well as arts and crafts. There will be music and refreshments, health screenings, raffle prizes, and information tables presented by local community, health, social services and government organizations and representatives. COVID vaccines will also be provided.
Event schedule is:
- Wednesday, August 8: 4 – 6 PM at BCHC at Oakbrook, 1040 Liggett Avenue, Reading
- Saturday, August 12: 10 AM – 1 PM at 838 Penn Street, Reading
This will be the ninth year that BCHC holds Community Days. Support from donors helps make the events possible. Major sponsors of the events this year include:
- Silver – Highmark Wholecare, UPMC
- Bronze –Senior Life, Tower Health, Aetna, Amerihealth , Capital Blue, Humana, PA Health and Wellness, Pivot/Athletico, United Healthcare, Highmark Blue Shield
- Patron – City of Reading Health Literacy, Encompass Health Rehab, Patriot Home Care Inc.
- Friend – Elite Home Health Care, Galfand Berger, Labcorp, Reading Community Pharmacy, Tower Behavioral Health, Berks Encore, Everyday Homecare, HGSK Law Office, SVJ Insurance, All American Home Care, Aging with Comfort